Monday, January 24, 2011

RECIPE: Peanut Butter Cookies (Sugar and Gluten Free)

My bloggy buddy Jenna at The Newlyweds Blog has embarked on a gluten-free and sugar-free diet.  I think this is so great!  Being pre-diabetic, I'm always thinking of ways I can reduce white sugar in our daily meals and snacks, especially my goodies!

And of course, in keeping with my pantry challenge...I'm going to use peanut butter.  I only have about 12 jars of peanut butter.  One thing to note, I only buy peanut butter if it's less than $1 and last week, peanut butter was on sale at Publix, with a coupon, for $.25, so I bought 4.

I've been experimenting with some of my favorite cookies and turning them into sugar-free cookies.  

Not sugar-free-fake-sugar.  

White-sugar-free, substituting honey as a sweetener, sugar free.

I've tried agave in the past, but it was a little runny for my liking.  It's great in tea though.  

We grew up eating Peanut Butter Cookies that were apparently gluten-free and I didn't realize it.  I didn't really know what gluten was until about 4 years ago.  And we've always made cookies like this.  Who knew!

Anyway, here's the adaptation of the cookie:

Peanut Butter Cookies (Sugar and Gluten-Free) - original recipe
2 cups crunchy peanut butter 
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey


Slightly beat the eggs in a mixing bowl.  Add peanut butter and mix together.

Add honey and combine.

Scoop onto cookie sheets, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

Spray the tops of the cookies with non-stick cooking spray and press down each cookie with a fork.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Carefully remove to cooling rack and cool completely.  Makes 22-23 cookies. 

According to sparkpeople, each cookies is 138 calories, 10 grams fat, 7 grams carbs, 5 grams sugar.

Completely optional, but yummy...

-----To add some sugar and chocolate -----


Place them onto wax paper and once the chocolate has firmed up, put them into an air-tight container.  
I've dipped some of these in milk chocolate.  I think it might be better for you if you dipped them into dark chocolate.  

But I'm a milk chocolate kind of girl.

Semi-sweet chocolate is even a stretch for me!  (ask my Momma, she always makes cookies with semi-sweet chocolate chips and I don't like them :)  And of course this adds to the calories.  I didn't add that in since I'm not sure how much each cookie is actually getting.

So I hope you'll give these a try.  

Enjoy!

This post has also been linked to:

12 comments:

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

Oh yum, I love these cookies, I have a very similar recipe, you make me want to try them now. Only thing is the chocolate has sugar so I will have to do with out the chocolate :(

I made S & G free brownies I am sharing the recipe tomorrow, they are super yummy.

Jennifer said...

This cookie recipe sounds good. It's a different recipe than I usually make so I will have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for stopping by earlier to check out my cinnamon roll pancakes!
Jenn

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Wow! How easy is that?! YUM!

Heather S-G said...

I just love pb cookies in general...any kind is good by me. These sound great, thanks for sharing them w/ the hearth and soul hop this week~!

Susie said...

They look so good!! You would never know that they were sugar and gluten free!!

Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) said...

Hi! I can't help but comment on the fact that so many of the mainstream brands of peanut butter have lots of sugar in them. I had never thought about this until I bought some Skippy last year to make cookies and then looked at the ingredients when it tasted sweet. I usually buy Trader Joes natural peanut butter which contains no sugar, so it never even occured to me that other companies put sugar in their peanut butter! I am sure it is to try to appeal to kids that love sweet stuff. It is pretty sneaky though!

Christy said...

Easy, gluten free, and filled with pb deliciousness - yum! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

Unknown said...

Mmmm...peanut butter and honey! Is there a better combination? I'd love it if you'd link it up to my Made From Scratch Tuesday blog hop!

http://www.messhalltobistro.blogspot.com/search/label/Made From Scratch Tuesday/

Elizabeth said...

I use to love eating PB and honey sandwiches, such a great combo!

More Than Words said...

Yum, yum, & yum!!!!! I love peanut butter cookies. I've never tried gluten free though. I have a few friends who are gluten free, too!

MrsJenB said...

Get outta town! That's it, just those three ingredients? Amazing! I'm so making these!!

And I agree on the agave nectar - too runny for baking in my opinion.

So glad I found you @ Tasty Tuesdays!

Lisa said...

I love peanut butter cookies. Dip them in chocolate and I'll love them even more. I have a linky party on my blog every week called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by tomorrow and link this up.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails